On the Rise: Graphic designer Scott Hansen creates danceable soundscapes, keeps riding the 'Dive' wave
It felt like we were all on the verge at Tycho's (www.tychomusic.com) December show at the Independent, the breaking point of something momentous, a perfect merging of visuals and sounds. In an effortlessly cool -- though I'm sure highly engineered -- production, Tycho, a.k.a graphic designer Scott Hansen, played synthesizers with live guitars and drums out front of a screen splashed with fuzzy orange surf images, rolling waves and crashing water.
It was the backdrop to the expressive and expansive Dive (Ghostly International), the first official release in years from the Sacramento native-longtime San Franciscan. And it was the ultimate sensory experience. Now on tour on the East Coast and in Europe, Tycho recently blogged, "I spent the last year locked in my basement working on the album so it's been really refreshing to be out here performing it for people."
Description of sound: Ambient / Psychedelic / Electronic.
Like most about the Bay Area music scene: Any show at the Independent.
What piece of music means the most to you and why: I couldn't really pick one instrument in particular. I see the studio and all of the equipment in it as a single instrument, so I suppose that means the most.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Thai Time — Red Chicken Curry (or anything else there).
Who would you most like tour with: Midlake.
Most Commented On
- "Caring about people" in SFBG terms means wanting higher taxes. - May 22, 2013
- Xorauguynavjlhh - May 22, 2013
- So what? As always, the smart folks will adapt and those who - May 22, 2013
- Chromefields, projecting much? - May 22, 2013
- I think that every person should care about themselves and - May 22, 2013
- The current tech bubble will - May 22, 2013
- Nah, the unwashed in SF are far too lazy and self-absorbed - May 22, 2013
- Yep, and the "Shell Solution" will be more expensive. - May 22, 2013
- Yep, Basta, that was the experience in Boston when RC went away - May 22, 2013
- Rich people are much better at getting out of paying taxes - May 22, 2013